ABOUT THE E-RESOURCE
Bookshare is an accessible online library with e-books for people who read differently due to disabilities that affect their use of traditional print - which is called "print disabilities" - this includes blindness, visual impairment, learning disabilities, and physical disabilities, such as Parkison's disease and paralysis.
The books on Bookshare are accessible, which means that they can be read in different ways, such as viewing the books in enlarged fonts or hearing the words read out loud. Books are available in audio, large print, audio synchronized with highlighted text, and in standard formats such as Microsoft Word, ePub, Braille Ready Format (BRF) or DAISY. They are available to read on the device of your choice - on mobile devices, computers, and assistive technology devices.
More than 550,000 people in 80 countries have access to Bookshare's collection of over 600,000 titles, covering a broad subject area. Bookshare works with more than 820 U.S. and international publishers who contribute to Bookshare by donating their digital files, making it possible for Bookshare to serve users around the world and ensuring that content is available to people with print disabilities at the same time as their peers.
Animals, Art and Architecture, Biographies and Memoirs, Business and Finance, Children's Books, Communication, Computers and Internet, Cooking, Food and Wine, Disability-Related, Drama, Plays and Theatre, Earth Sciences, Education. Entertainment, Foreign Language Study, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender, Health, Mind and Body, History, Home and Garden, Horror, Humour, Language Arts, Law, Legal Issues and Ethics, Literature and Fiction, Mathematics and Statistics, Medicine, Military, Music, Mystery and Thrillers, Nonfiction, Outdoors and Nature, Parenting and Family, Philosophy, Poetry, Politics and Government, Psychology, Reference, Religion and Spirituality, Romance, Science, Science Fiction and Fantasy, Self-Help, Social Studies, Sociology, Sports, Study Guides, Technology, Teens, Textbooks, Travel, Westerns
- Over 400,000 titles available internationally: search available content on this page and put your country in the "Available In" field to see what titles are available in your country (you'll have to enter another search term such as language=English, for example)
- Who qualifies to use Bookshare?
- A person who has a visual impairment, that is a person who is blind or has low vision and who is unable to read standard print qualifies, as long as a competent authority confirms that the person is legally blind or has a significant problem accessing text.
- A person with a learning disability, such as dyslexia, as long as a competent authority confirms that the learning disability significantly interferes with reading.
- A person with a physical disability who is unable to read standard print, as long as a competent authority confirms that the physical disability significantly interferes with reading. This includes individuals unable to manipulate print books, turn pages or focus on pages.
- Who Doesn't Automatically Qualify?
- People with disabilities such as autism, intellectual disabilities, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), hearing loss, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and people whose first language is not English DO NOT QUALIFY ON THESE CRITERIA ALONE under the laws and agreements that determine Bookshare eligibility. However, it is quite possible that a person with one or more of these disabilities could still qualify for Bookshare because of an accompanying print disability. For example, a person who is both deaf and blind, or who has ADHD and significant dyslexia, could qualify.
- How can users read Bookshare books?
- Listen to books with high quality text-to-speech voices
- Hear and see highlighted words on screen
- Read with digital braille or enlarged fonts
- Create physical braille or large print
- Read directly from your Internet browser
- View a list of reading tools preferred by users in the US here
- View availability of content by country
- View list of Bookshare's publishing partners
- Link to catalogue search
- View list of preferred reading tools
- Training and resources (including video tutorials)
- Demo books (free access)